NewTownSaints Community WebSite
NewTownSaints Community WebSite
GO BACK


A Little Bit More . . . Page 1

The Community Site For Chester & Newtown

Newtown, located on this map North East of the City of Chester, and bounded by the Shropshire Union Canal, The Cattle Market and the two Chester Railway stations, (General and Northgate), meant that Newtown and Hoole were responsible for providing the vast majority of workers and therefore in turn, the vast ammount of Chester wealth production during the early and late parts of the 'Industrial Revolution' from about 1793 when the canal was finished to the late 1950's.
First because of the location of the canal and later, due to the great railway building of the 1830's and 1840's in Great Britain. The canal was the M53/M6 highway of its day, and 'narrowboats' boats (not barges!) carried produce and supplies to and from North Wales (Coal, Slate, Gypsum or lead ore), finished lead (for roofing, water pipes/ and sewerage) from the huge 'Leadworks' factory in Edgerton Street. Grain arrived from luscious Cheshire farmland (and processed in the large graneries on the banks of the canal at Boughton), salt, (for preserving food:fish, meat, in the days before refridgerators), from Northwich.
With the canal flowing into the river Dee, [providing access to the sea, and other ports such as Liverpool] and the facilities at 'Crane Wharf' can you imagine how busy the area must have been? It would have represented the 'beating heart of Chester'. Read more »

See what little is left of Back Brook Street, Here.


Image descriptionThis is all that is now left of Back Brook Street. From the white sided building on the right to the white sided building on the left. Looking towards Hoole.